3 tips to get your content right every time

3 tips to get your content right every time

Do you often find that your content doesn't generate the engagement and buzz you're hoping for? Follow our tips to get your social media content right every time.

1. Learn the best practices for every social network you use

  • Even if you're planning on posting the about same topic across all of your social media accounts, the posts should be tailored to suit each individual platform.
  • Know your character limits: Everyone knows Twitter has a 140 character limit so your posts will have to be much more concise. It's good practice to be aware of the character limits of other platforms so you know how much room you have to work with.
  • You should also be aware of the optimal post length for each platform. Research shows that posts of around 110 to 120 characters perform best overall on Facebook. While on Instagram posts of 220-240 character captions were the best performing.
  • On Twitter the top-performing posts include an image, and one or two hashtags are highly recommended.
  • Your Instagram posts should focus on visual content but strong captions with a liberal use of relevant hashtags (and emojis) will improve the performance of your posts and make them easier to find.
  • LinkedIn is focused on sharing information. Research shows that link posts perform the best. It's important to maintain a professional tone, so we definitely wouldn't recommend using hashtags or emojis on LinkedIn.
  • Do your research and find out when the optimum times are to post on each social media platform. Research shows that posting on Facebook at 3pm will result in the most clicks but posting at 1pm will result in more shares. However you should also think about when your target audience will be using social media. Will they scroll through Instagram when they finish work at 5pm? Or visit Facebook when they put their children to bed? It's a good idea to experiment with different posting times to find out what works best for your brand.

2. Get the ratio right

Best practice for social media marketing is the '80/20 rule.' According to this rule, only 20% of your social media content should be sales focused or directly promote your products or services. The other 80% should be topics related to your brand or posts that you know your audience will enjoy. The '80/20 rule' comes from the idea that 80% of your revenue is generated from 20% of your customers. Ideally you want to attract more customers like that 20%. Successful social media accounts are not solely used as a way of selling your products or services. They focus instead on creating an engaged community that look to your brand to provide them with relevant, interesting and entertaining content.

3. Create call to actions

Now that you've tailored your content to each platform and got the ratio right how can you encourage your audience to like, share and engage with your content? Adding call to actions (CTAs) is a great way to do this. You should try and fit them into your content in a natural, genuine and creative way. Try asking thought-provoking questions, host a giveaway or competition and encourage participants to share your posts or tag a friend.

Try our tips and let us know how you get on!

MORE POSTS

We’ve been busy building our new website...

Bigg news - We’ve been hard at work building our shiny new website! It’s essential for any business to ke...
What Makes Bristol Great - Autumn

We've reached Autumn! The evenings are finally drawing in closer, Halloween merchandise are on full displ...
Millennials explain - What is 'Gen Z yel...

We could hardly believe our screens when we saw it, but reportedly 'gen Z yellow' is here to replace 'mil...
What makes Bristol great - Vegan Bedmins...

One of the things we LOVE about Bristol is the diversity of food available here! For some of the Bigg tea...
Get in touch
How Bigg could your business grow?
You'll never get lost in a sea of emails or a web of chatbots. Give us a few details and we'll be in touch with you to talk all things superhero (or digital marketing, your choice).
Our Office
GET DIRECTION